Thursday, December 1, 2011

Literary Blog Hop: Dec 1-4

Literary Blog Hop

It’s time for the monthly Literary Blog Hop hosted by The Blue Bookcase.  This blog hop is open to blogs that primarily feature book reviews of literary fiction, classic literature, and general literary discussion. This month’s question is:

What work of literature would you recommend to someone who doesn't like literature? 

I generally tend not to recommend literature to those who have no interest in it.I think people should just  read what they like. Read and let read. However, there’s nothing wrong with nudging someone towards literary fiction if the person is looking to explore different genres. I can’t think of any one book that would fit the bill since ‘literature’ is a very general term, encompassing so many different types of books. I think I’d recommend books based on what the person already likes. So, for a friend who reads a lot of romance novels, Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters would be good picks while still keeping within their comfort zone. For someone who loves dystopian fiction I’d recommend Orwell’s 1984. If horror is your choice then I’d steer you towards Edgar Allen Poe and all those who find literature too ‘serious’ should definitely check out some of the great humorists like Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde. Lastly, when I run into anyone who wants to try literature but is intimidated by huge tomes, I always recommend they try out some short stories which are an easy and painless way to test the waters.

So that’s my two cents. I’m eager to read everyone else’s take on the subject. Happy Hopping people.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your sweetest comment - tried to email you but your email is blocked:(
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "read and let read". I'm happy when anyone is reading! Buuuut I do feel a little sorry for people who never read literature. It's like going through life with only having vanilla ice cream... recommending literature to them is like introducing them to toppings. Haha okay not the best analogy but life's so much sweeter with literature. The fluffy stuff is nice too but I think people should expand their horizons. Obviously we shouldn't be pushy about it, but it's just the excitement of loving something and wanting to share it with others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For romance lovers Jane Eyre as you suggest would be a good pick. On Orwell, maybe also Animal Farm-a shorter on the surface simpler work. I thought of short stories also-maybe to keep it simple some of the best of O Henry or Saki then move on to some of "heavier" writers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right that you shouldn't force people to read lit, or anything. That's a surefire way to get them to continue to stay away from lit. You have some good recommendations in her for those that are literary-minded but are willing to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1984 was the first literary book that I really remember liking. Twain is also great, as is Poe. I was also trying to think of some short stories that I would recommend. I am always up for Carver and O'Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally with you. I would be very wary of recommending anything, but if I did, I would be wanting to know what they are already willing to read and what their other interests might be so I could pick something that might work for them. You still never know, but at least there's a better chance they might enjoy it.

    I would make sure it wasn't a really long book, and that it didn't have too complex writing. Something beautiful but straightforward is how I would put it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nay I have no idea why my gmail is doing that. Thanks for dropping by though.

    Christine-Chioma "life's so much sweeter with literature" Absolutely!!

    Mel U I think I started on Short stories with anthologies of O Henry and Saki.

    Red thanks for stopping by.

    LBC I haven't read much Carver or O'Connor myself. I really should.

    Becky Beautiful and straightforward is exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edgar Allen Poe! Woo-hoo! I HATE horror normally, but even I love me some good Poe.
    JNCL
    The Beauty of Eclecticism

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good suggestions! I adore Oscar Wilde, and I actually gave De Profundis to my grandfather as a gift, and his short stories to my sister. And I've read The Happy Prince many times to my daughter.... Oscar Wilde makes me feel at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas for the uncommon someone who claims to not like literature. Orwell is also a good recommendation for the reader who claims to be uninterested in science fiction, and a good challenge to any inveterate optimist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a very similar response, and Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde are great choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. JNCL I'm not a horror fan either but Poe I like.

    Ru I'm waiting for my son to grow up some more so I can read The Happy Prince to him. Such a classic children's story.

    James "Orwell is also a good recommendation for the reader who claims to be uninterested in science fiction, and a good challenge to any inveterate optimist." ummn... that would be me, the inveterate optimist :)

    Anja I'm off to check out your response.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great answer to this week's question and I agree; suggestions should be based on what someone already likes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Parrish Thank you. I think so.

    Loni thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete