Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Classics Challenge August Prompt : Quotes from Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf


Rather than a questions this month's prompt is to share a memorable

Quote

... or a few of them from what you're currently reading. Try to select one that are not so well-known but, of course, if you can't help yourself share it too!

My classic for this month is Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway.



 Here's my favorite quote from the book.

“Peter would think her sentimental. So she was. For she had come to feel that it was the only thing worth saying – what one felt. Cleverness was silly. One must say simply what one felt.” 

The quote is perhaps unlikely to find a place in any 'quotable quotes' book but it reflects the theme of the book and what Woolf was trying to convey, that feelings are more valid and important than thoughts. In the same vein is another quote,

 “What does the brain matter compared with the heart?” 


As you can see, this is an underlying theme throughout the book. I must leave you with another quote which is not from the book but about the book.


"I adumbrate here a study of insanity and suicide: the world seen by the sane and the insane side by side - something like that." -Virginia Woolf on Mrs Dalloway.


3 comments:

  1. Great quotes. Have you yet read "Solid Objects" by Virginia Woolf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good...thanks.

    And....thanks for stopping by my blog for the Book Blogger Hop.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Mrs Dalloway now - my first Virginia Woolf and not at all what I expected - I really like it!

    A very quotable book - I like your choice of the heart/mind theme.

    ReplyDelete