Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Classics Challenge- November



Last month I read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and hopefully I'll get down to doing a review of it soon. That leaves me with just one more book to go before I'm officially done with the challenge. My last classic for 2012 is going to be The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Anyone read it? Nice?

Moving on to this months questions, here they are:
Of all the Classics you've read this year is there an author or movement that has become your new favorite? Which book did you enjoy the most? Or were baffled by? Who's the best character? The most exasperating? From reading other participants' posts which book do you plan to read and are most intrigued by?

My favorite classic of the year, hands down, is Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and Clarissa Dalloway is my favorite character.  Animal Farm was wonderful too BUT I just felt really strongly about Mrs Dalloway. I can't think of any character that exasperated me but I did feel that the character of Daddy-long-legs was not quite as enigmatic as he should have been. Karen's lovely post about Villette reminded me that this book has been on my to-read list for far too long. I definitely intend to get to it in 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I also read Mrs Dalloway this year and really enjoyed it - Clarissa is a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Villette. The parts set in the school are just wonderful. May I suggest trying some of virginia woolf's short stories. I love "solid objects"

    ReplyDelete